Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween 2010...high key portraits

I finally got back into my studio (with some very active models) and put some of my new found knowledge to the test.  Prior to the shoot I had a lot of fun testing out the lights alone and with a fellow photography enthusiast.  By the way, I now have two background lights which makes full length portraits a little bit easier to take as I don't have that one light in the middle anymore.  My goal was to have my main and fill light ratios to be a 3:1 ratio with my background lights at 11.5 (it should have been at 13.5 which is 1.5 stops hotter than the main light of f 8.0 - this would have ensured a pure white high key background) which resulted in the following set up:
background lights:  11.5
main light:  8.0
fill light:  4.8
Because my background lights were not as hot as they should have been the background was a little underexposed causing the picture to look a little grey around the edges.  Normally, I would fix this in photoshop but I used thrifty white tile board on the floor to get to reflection from my subject's feet and I do not want to get rid of this.  Below, are the results of the above settings:











No comments:

Post a Comment